Importance of Surveying to Civil Engineers
The planning and design of all Civil Engineering projects such as construction of highways, bridges, tunnels, dams etc are based upon surveying measurements
Moreover, during execution, project of any magnitude is constructed along the lines and points established by surveying.
Thus, surveying is a basic requirement for all Civil Engineering projects.
Other principal works in which surveying is primarily utilised are:
- to fix the national and state boundaries
- to chart coastlines, navigable streams and lakes
- to establish control points
- to execute hydrographic and oceanographic charting and mapping; and
- to prepare topographic map of land surface of the earth.