Advantages of Canal Lining
- It reduces the loss of water due to seepage and hence the duty is enhanced.
- It controls the water logging and hence the bad effects of water-logging are eliminated.
- It provides smooth surface and hence the velocity of flow can be increased.
- Due to the increased velocity the discharge capacity of a canal is also increased.
- Due to the increased velocity, the evaporation loss also can be reduced.
- It eliminates the effect of scouring in the canal bed
- The increased velocity eliminates the possibility of silting in the canal bed.
- It controls the growth of weeds along the canal sides and bed.
- It provides the stable section of the canal.
- It reduces the requirements of land width for the canal, because smaller section of the canal can be used to produce greater discharge.
- It prevents the sub-soil salt to come in contact with the canal water. 12. It reduces the maintenance cost for the canals.
Disadvantages of Canal Lining
- The initial cost of the canal lining is very high. So, it makes the project very expensive with respect to the output.
- It involves many difficulties for repairing the damaged section of lining.
- It takes too much time to complete the project work.
- It becomes difficult, if the outlets are required to be shifted or new outlets are required to be provided, because the dismantling of the lined section is difficult.